Friday, May 31, 2019

Nordic Testing Days - day 1


Tutorial day is over, and it's time for the first day of the conference. I did the responsible thing and got enough sleep, despite some people (whom name shall remain undisclosed) who were dragging speakers to try out this "traditional" alcoholic beverage (and by "traditional", I mean "is probably going to kill you horribly"), so a fresh start for a new day.
I got into the venue just in time for the keynote about machine learning and testing. It was interesting,  and would have made a good track talk, I was expecting more out of a keynote.
Then, I went to give a workshop and teach people about unit testing. It's a bit long, and setup always takes longer than planned, but all in all,  I think it went well, I hope the participants agree.
After lunch i went to participate in Alex Schladebeck's workshop on testopsies and micro-heuristics, in which we spent some time learning about how to think about what it is that we do while testing. Narrating a testing session can be quite challenging, but very insightful. Being forced to communicate reason ("I'm surprised by x, so I'm going to investigate that by doing y") is a great way to both learn what we do and teach others how we think.
Apparently, one opening keynote and two workshops leave time only for the closing keynote of the day, in which Raimond Sinivee told about his journey and how relying on his existing testing skills he was able to become a well rounded software engineer (for the purpose of this talk, an engineer is someone who has both testing and development skills and is functioning in those two roles). It was a very good keynote, inspiring people in what I think to be a good direction.
Naturally, things do not simply end after the last lecture - we had a conference party, alongside with two activities I really like: lightning talks and Powerpoint karaoke. I could probably tell you about it, but it will not do it any justice. I guess you really should have been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment